Saturday, 29 August 2009

Musical musings: Week 35 2009

Musical musings is a weekly column, where I’m going to champion my current musical inspirations. I will feature videos and downloadable content as well as my enthused text. I will use it to champion things I’ve stumbled across on the web, records I’ve bought and things that others have sent my way. This column will complement the regular radio shows, LP and singles reviews, which will still surface on a monthly basis. In case you’re wondering why I’m starting at 35, this is because it is the 35th week of the year!

Jay 'Sinister' Sealee & Louie Vega starring Julie McKnight - Bittersweet (Jay's Main Event Mix):



First up is a magical vocal house effort from the production and vocal trio, who brought us the magical Diamond Life many moons ago. Bittersweet follows in the same mould and is a melancholic tale of romantic quandaries and forbidden yearnings, where McKnight’s vocals ride patient beats and poised strings. Louie is a Master and Sealee was responsible for writing the anthemic McKnight assisted Finally.

Phoenix - Lisztomania (Classixx Version):



LA’s Classixx actually sound more ‘French’ than many Gallic producers and give Braxe, Lifelike and even the Punks a run for their money with an ace rejig of Parisian indie daddies Phoenix’s Listzomania. This dreamy remix produces an all over warm feeling, courtesy of synthilating keys and confusing vocals. Listzomania occupies a beautiful indie-dance middle ground and Classixx have succeeded in edging it further onto the dancefloor.

No comments: